Saturday, June 16, 2007

Reunion post no. 3

Juan walked up to me in the post office yesterday looking as excited as I've ever seen him.

"Tom! Open invitation tonight to hang out with the class of '02!"
"What?"
"In Goodhue! They have a ton of pot!"

Every year at reunion, in the Goodhue super-lounge, there is a "dance party" for the 5th-years at which they all stand around with cups in their hands and pretend to enjoy the music that is the perfect volume for dancing, and thus prohibitive of conversation. Also every year (as far as I know), 10-20 reunion workers, believing that they will enjoy themselves there, try to crash said party. None are successful. For the second year running, I poked my head into the place for a few minutes before getting extremely uncomfortable/mildly depressed and leaving. All of the current students hang out on the couches, and the alumni, being both more interested in catching up with each other, and afraid of looking like "that guy/girl" that hangs out with the current students, cram themselves as tightly as possible into the far side of the room. The no man's land in between is crossed only by the extremely drunk, and the only person who got hit on was David Friedlander-Holm. He has a long history of being hit on by alumni. Maybe his height and manly physique give the illusion of age.

I hate how guilty the alumni look. They all have these faces on, like they're doing something they shouldn't be doing. Granted, when I come back for reunion, I doubt I'll be keen on reliving a Sayles dance party sans dancing. I'm sure the Class of '02 has plenty of fun reliving other college scenarios, like getting really drunk in Evans (where they all are housed) and then ordering 15 Basil's pizzas, which is what anyone that didn't go to the dance did, but skipping a Sayles dance reenactment is a reenactment of its own, I guess. I gotta stop thinking about this, I'm getting really depressed. I don't think Juan ever met up with his new buddies.

I watched Ghost World last night and was not blown away. I also played the best Beirut game of my life. I sank 7 cups, went 4-for-5 at one point, and scooped a ball out. I dedicate my nigh-singlehanded victory to the Bros (I have to credit Kirke with the last shot). Sciuto started early and went to bed at 9:30. Leah took a rain-check for the night. Who knows what wonders the third night of Reunion '07 has in store? In light of Obama's recent legalization, things are looking up.

4 comments:

  1. Can I complain about the lack of comments? I remember last year, Lucy said that it was just polite to leave a comment. She's right. At the very least it's an acknowledgment you read the post. So, I read this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. a LITERAL raincheck!
    (it was raining and i didn't want to walk to goodhue.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. sometimes the posts are so beautiful i'm just rendered speechless

    ReplyDelete
  4. also, ghost world's really good, but if you're looking to be blown away you probably should have picked something with a man vs. nature theme or something.

    ReplyDelete