Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Fixies vs. Scrapers

Despite the fetishization of fixie/messenger culture as of late, I have nothing against fixed gear bikes. Like all bikes, they have their pros and cons. My first bike was a fixed gear, although it had training wheels. When I finally shed the training wheels, I rode that thing around the block with pride----flourescent beads around the tires and all--and now I understand why. If you're into fixies for the fashion, more power to you: you know you're going to be called a tool, but you don't care, because you really do look better than anyone on a mountain bike.

But have you bros seen scraper bikes? What the fixie is to indie, I think the scraper is to hyphy: goofy to anyone outside the subculture, but cool as hell to the people within it. Scraper bikes are essentially oversized bicycles with huge rims, spinners and custom paint jobs. Like a scraper, but on two wheels (or three, sometimes--hyphy trics!).

So before you take the plunge and buy that fixed gear, take a look at the scraper bike:



P.S. We have 600+ hits?

2 comments:

  1. My problem with fixed gears is ultimately just my problem with people fetishizing bikes at all, how in my imagination bikes are just more pure than that--memories of kids and getting around during summer and just not caring what kind of bike your friend had as long as you were getting around...nostalgia, basically. That, coupled with the idea of choosing, in the interest of fashion, a bike that's less practical/versatile (unless you happen to be a messenger) than one with multiple, un-fixed gears. Repugnant to me, I guess, but people are annoyed but less significant things.

    On the subject of hyphy, have you seen this?
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=UZg3D-uxJPs

    ReplyDelete
  2. And if you needed it hyphy
    I take it to the Bay
    Frisco to Sac-town
    They do it everyday

    MIMS gets it.

    ReplyDelete