Friday, June 15, 2007

Reunion observations

So it's only been one day of Reunion 2007 but here's what I've noticed so far:

1. That huge-ass tuituion bill? Yeah, I'm pretty sure like 60% of that goes to ridiculous reunion expenses. Any reunion worker with a shirt (keep in mind this is like 100 people) can at any time during reunion go to the snack bar and spend whatever they want. On anything. We bought three Snickers ice cream bars yesterday. And the people of age get all-day, all-night unlimited booze. So there's that.

2. Carleton alums still have very awkward exchanges; I was standing near the food tent last night when I heard two '02 alums talking. A third came up and this exchange followed:
"Heeeey it's Jeffrey!"
"Hey dude!"
"Hey bro!"
(awkward handshake/hug?)
"So, I, uh, heard you were gonna go to California for a job but didn't end up going. What, uh, happened with that?" (Arms crossed, leg jiggling, eyes shifting.)
"I dunno, I was gonna mumblemumble law school but then I decided not to." Stop.
An uncomfortable silence falls and the three men in green shirts and khaki shorts (no seriously, all three of them) stand in a triangle directly in the door. It was really uncomfortable to watch.

3. Carleton alumni have really weird-looking children together. So, I mean, watch out for that.

4. Elderly people type really slowly. I'm using a computer in the libe right now during a break and some '57ers are using an adjacent one together and boy, howdy, like maybe 17 wpm.

Last night I watched a movie in air-conditioned 2nd Watson (where Carolyn Morales and also some 50-year alums are staying) and then went downstairs and on 1st Watson caught a whiff of alcohol stronger than any I've smelled before at Carleton. Tonight I'm working at the Cave for an event called "Velveeta Smooth: Rocking in our 50s" with the class of '77. Should be CUH-RAZY!!!

1 comment: