Friday, July 06, 2007

Work. Pfff.

I started work on obituaries for the Winter issue of the Voice today. Yuck. I have about 70 "obits," as they're called around the office, to read and summarize in a small (6-8 sentence) paragraph. There are many things that are disturbing about this. I had this conversation with my boss today:

"So, is there anything procedural I should know about writing obituaries?"
"Well, I'd suggest starting with the death reports, just to give yourself a base, and then you can fill them out with the actual obits."
"Oh, okay. Really I'm just trying to put off actually starting them for as long as possible." I mean, summarizing the lives of the dead for the next week (at least)? That's scary.
[With look of exhasperated understanding] "I know, I know. Obits are such a pain."
"Yeah." Where is this going?
"They're just so boring! They all say the same thing, devoted husband, devoted wife, loving parent, it's like, I mean, come on."
"Yeah." What!?

I'm not being fair to my boss, here. There was more to the conversation, but that's what I took away from it. The sad thing is that I'm beginning to understand what she was talking about. Five obits in, I'm already sick of loving family members and lovers of the outdoors. I'm completely disconnected. It's horrible. Not that I could possibly handle connecting with all of these people, especially through something so impersonal and (generally) contrived as an obituary. It's just unnerving that I have fallen so easily into such a pattern. Even so, I'm avoiding work like the plauge--I really should be working right now.

In the other-converstaions-with-bosses department, a supervisor at the library (not Sandie or Lois, who are sweethearts) told me that I coudn't put my bike inside anymore (I can't find my lock and don't want to buy a new one, if I can help it). Apparently, we don't allow bikes in the library, and if people see me, a library worker, keeping my bike behind the desk, then they will all want to bring their bikes inside. I had a very strong urge to ask her what people she was talking about (I'd say library capacity hovers around six during my shift), or if anyone really sees any appeal in trying to fit a bike into their study room, but I just looked apologetic and said I understood. Oh, the little things in life.

I got the new Caribou album, and I really like it. I've never listened to him before, but yeah, it's sweet. If anyone wants it, I am an avid YouSendIt-er.

Oh yeah, PRINCE IS PLAYING AT FIRST AVENUE TOMORROW, which he hasn't done since 1987. We're going to try and get tickets. They go on sale tomorrow at 3:00 at First Ave. If we fail, which we most certainly will, then we will go out to dinner with Leah's parents. If we don't, then I don't see how anything cooler could possibly happen this summer. Wish us luck.

3 comments:

  1. No. Anne and Leah had to work/go to wedding showers, and *ALEX* doesn't go for that kind of stuff. You know, fun stuff.

    ReplyDelete