Monday, July 02, 2007

I'm out of good titles at the moment... BUSTED!!!

I just finished The Mysteries of Pittsburgh, Michael Chabon's first book. It's good. I wasn't really that enchanted overall, but the last two chapters are brilliant. Basically, a guy gets out of college, and with a little assistance, turns his life upside down over the course of one summer. He does so very mundanely and emotionally (no heroin, and only a vague association with crime), but by the end of the book, it's hard to say if heroin could have done any worse (obviously, it probably could, but Chabon is a very good writer).

In the vein of people who have finished college, my Minneapolis-Carleton-grad friends scare the shit out of me. I stayed with them in the cities on Saturday, and we had a great time, but their waywardness dwarfs mine completely. It seems to be a universal affliction of people in their mid twenties. I'm in danger of waxing poetic here; the visit put me in quite a funk. Thankfully for you all I will indulge myself no further, lest this blog devolves into some sort of sissy blog for ninnies.

As Sciuto has already said, the iPhone is ridiculous. Before actually holding it, I was impressed, but relatively uninterested. I'm still relatively uninterested--I will not be owning one any time soon--but am now completely infatuated.

Well, that's about it for now; I'm off into the bowels of the Carleton library to find another book. If Sciuto ever finishes Brolita, I'll read it, but for now, I'll have to find something else. What is everyone else reading? Greg, I gotta know, how's Brolysses? Also, of equal or greater importance, how's Ireland? We haven't heard from you for a while, and though I completely understand, and am happily jealous of you, you could at least accost me for commandeering that staple of your internet humor, the use of caps, for my title, which, I must concede, you are better at. I should probably stick to inflated vocabulary and complex sentence structures.

3 comments:

  1. wow. i'm glad that this was republished with a better cover. when i first read this book in ninth/tenth grade, the cover gave beach-reads a run for their money. like neon lettering and shit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm pretty sure that cover is still out there. i liked this one better, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oi, achei teu blog pelo google tá bem interessante gostei desse post. Quando der dá uma passada pelo meu blog, é sobre camisetas personalizadas, mostra passo a passo como criar uma camiseta personalizada bem maneira. Até mais.

    ReplyDelete