Thursday, August 16, 2007

Variations on a Joke

As most of you know, I work in an office at a day camp. I get out on the camp grounds once or twice a day, usually just to go grab lunch and then rock the NBA Jam machine for a little bit. So here's what I hear literally every time I step out of the office:

"Sugarman, are you wearing sunscreen? You might burn up."

"Wow, look who's outside. It's Sugarman."

"Sugarman, you can go outside? I had no idea."

"Whoa, Sugarman, I've seen you outside today twice. New record!"

"Sugarman, you get to go outside?"

Etc. etc. At first I always felt obliged to laugh at the jokes, but now it's like, homie, are you retarded? Yeah, I work in the office. That's my job. And you've made the exact same joke for 39 days straight. What I'm trying to say is, I miss clever jokes.

2 comments:

  1. i miss YOU

    do they call you sugarman all the time? last names and jabs at one's physical prowess are like bros and PBR.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "i miss clever jokes" is brocode for "i miss you guys."

    they actually started calling me sugarman before i even got there (as in like, "when does sugarman start working here?"). when i finally arrived the bigwigs at camp all knew me as sugarman, and one of them (the woman who hired me) was like "do you mind if we call you sugarman?" i really wanted to be like no, you don't know me, so it's really not, but it was the first day and i didn't want to seem confrontational, so i was like, "of course i don't mind."

    it's lunchtime.

    ReplyDelete