Sunday, March 23, 2008

VA

I've been in Halifax, VA for a couple days now.

Yesterday, my cousins and I went for a NASCAR race, which I enjoyed unironically.

Things to sincerely like about NASCAR races:
1. VRRRRRRRRROOM!
2. People-watching. There's a lot of weird looking people lurking around the stands. People with oddly placed facial hair. People who are obese in weird places.
3. Watching a car pass another car. To do this, you have to get part of your car next to the car in front of you when you're going around the curve. On the straightaway, you then put the pedal to the medal and pass the guy. Both of these things- the positioning to get next to the car, and the burst of speed after- are riveting.
4.Beer. You can bring as much beer as you want.
5. The smell. It's a mix of farts, burning rubber, body odor and fumes.
6. Crashes. When there is a dramatic crash, the entire crowd stands up, points, and says something like "Ooooooh shit!" Drivers don't get hurt because they're so well-protected within the cars. But the smoke and loud noise are exciting.

In my time here, I've also shot a gun, picked a tick from my thigh and drove a pick-up truck.

All y'all are a bunch of fuckin' pussies.

7 comments:

  1. psshht I did all those things before the age of ten. Except for maybe the tick. I could never go through with it, usually my mom had to help.


    RURAL MN 4 LYFE.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i hear if you pick a tick out with your fingers, the head stays attached and keeps chewing. just sayin'

    ReplyDelete
  3. my co-counselor at camp had lyme's disease and got bell's palsy -- half her face was paralyzed for a year.
    just sayin'

    ReplyDelete
  4. 10 bucks says james was anonymous.

    and tom, that's not true. as a rural kid myself, i can say that i've picked many a tick with my fingers. just... make sure you get the head out and you'll be fine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had lymes disease! no palsy though...

    ReplyDelete