Saturday, July 25, 2009

Bros Watch Forever: Religion and TV

From American Public Media's Speaking of Faith, an hour-long radio show about religion and television:

Diane Winston appreciates good television, studies it, and brings many of its creators into her religion and media classes at the University of Southern California. In what some have called a renaissance in television drama, we examine how TV is helping us tell our story and work through great confusions in contemporary life. And, we play clips from The Wire, House, Lost, and Battlestar Galactica.

Let me tell you, this Diane Winston loves Battlestar Galactica. And for that I love her. That she also loves The Sopranos, Dexter, Lost, makes me like her even more. I think my real job calling is a television studies professor.

Speaking of Faith: Link

2 comments:

  1. wish i could take that class. how easy is it to go to a college and just slip into the back of a class? i think pretty easy right?

    i'm using a clip from LOST in my class's discussion of ethics tomorrow. the one where that lady is drowning and boone sucks at saving her and jack has to decide whether to go get her or bring boone back? AND IT'S ALL FOR NAUGHT, IN THE END

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...but in the NOW, what Jack decides makes a big difference to someone. Leah, I'm not a Lost fan, but I am a ponderer of meaningfulness. What we do matters so much, to so many here and now, to those who love us, some times to those who paths cross, often to others who know whom we affect. But in the long run, in the picture, I do not really affect the course of history or the lives of all. And I am glad...

    ReplyDelete