Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Reality takes home the win

I watched American Movie earlier today, and it blew me away. It is easily one of the saddest, funniest things I have ever seen. Waiting for Guffman was great, and everything, but this one blows it out of the water, in no small part because it's real. I don't pretend to understand humanity's obsession with "true stories," but it plays out here. These people are all, most likely, still living in Southern Wisconsin, still drinking too much, and still borrowing money to make low-budget horror movies; the movie's humor and poignancy are unwritten and unrehearsed, and it makes a huge difference. Watch it.
I planned on putting up some more CO stuff, but I just haven't gotten around to it. What can I say, I'm lazy. Also, I'm out of time right now; I have to close the library. More later.

1 comment:

  1. I'm pretty sure he still lives in Milwaukee. As sad as it is, working a shitty blue-collar job and drinking at the neighborhood bar is still what the majority of people in southeastern Wisconsin, specifically Milwaukee, do.

    Also, my favorite part of his imdb profile:
    Alternate Names: 'Al the drunk at the bar'

    ReplyDelete